Hanne Bnana Goes To

Home

1993 Trip

Thailand '93

Goodbye Cambodia – Hello Thailand

December 9th 1993

Wow! Here is most of everything – took a bus from the airport & downtown to Khao San road where all the backpackers are living – met 2 British girls in the bus – they’re so funny – real party girls. Found a guesthouse Chakraphong road & checked in. Went down to Khao San road & met Rune (from the trans siberian train) that was great. We’ll meet up with him – Sarah & Helen later for a beer. We’d been shopping a bit – Tintin t-shirts & I bought a pair of sandals. Annemette is sleeping right now – I’m sitting on the balcony – “inhaling” the sounds & smells of the huge city.

We met up with Rune & the girls – had something to eat & drink – while we sad there John came by – That’s was great to see him again – he was going back to Texas the following day to have surgery on his arm. He looked healthier had a new & more human cast on.

Then we started to drink Thai Whiskey & cough medicine & had a great evening.

December 10th 1993

Spend most of the day in a small post office trying to buy a cardboard box – they refused to sell us on – due to the fact that if was holiday – weird! So in the end we walked home to our guesthouse owner & told him about our misery & he found an empty beer box we could use – we opened it turned it inside out & glued it together again. Filled it up with our leftovers & walked down to the post office again – we had to fill a lot of forms – Rune came & helped us – finally we could send it – we left & had breakfast with Rune – said goodbye & went home to pack – met a girl who said we’d forgotten the receipt for sending the box - & I ran down to get it. Then we left Bangkok – to go to the airport.

Now we’re airborne & on our way to Nepal. Was entertained by a very irritating guy I sad next to all the way to Kathmandu – but it couldn’t take the moment of pure happiness away – when we circled over Himalaya in the sunset – it was breathtaking.

Got our passports stamped – found the backpacks & headed out into another hassle of guys who wanted to drive us to a “so very nice hotel” they knew – we were stubborn – we wanted to go to “Freak street” (Jhochne) & we got it the way we wanted. We found Century Lodge – a guesthouse Annemette had lived in 7 years ago) Now we are here in this dusty/dirty room with a bathroom – toilet & a shower (we might even have hot water) 2 beds with semi-clean mattresses & a wobbly table – we’ll have to buy some candlesticks – cause they got electricity saving times here in the city of Kathmandu (meaning that the light switch off in a couple of hours in different areas of town during evening – not all the light in the whole city – just some places here & there – it can be interesting when you walk through a narrow street with mopeds & cows - & “kabauuu” there goes the street light & you have to avoid getting run down or over by whatever come against you).

© HannaBnana 1995-2004